The good news is that there are simple steps you can take to help prevent dangerous falls in your home:
- Install safety devices, including grab bars in the bathroom.
- Eliminate or reposition items that are potential hazards such as throw rugs, floor clutter, and exposed wires.
- Recover or replace slippery floor surfaces with materials that allow good traction.
- Try to have a landline phone that's accessible from the floor in case you do fall and cannot get back on your feet.
- If you have a companion animal, train it to stay away from your feet as you walk.
source: Dr. Weil